Friday, August 5, 2016

P-47: Inspiration

Update: August 5, 2016

My first project is underway! My brother in law, Ryan Kelly, found out a few years ago about a great uncle that was lost in WWII. He was flying his plane over enemy lines when he was shot down near Köln, Germany. After learning about this long lost uncle, Ryan went on an all out investigation to find out as much as he could about Second Lt. Gerald B. Kelly and his final flight aboard his P-47 Thunderbolt. Click here for the full story.

So I thought it would be a great idea to build a model P-47 and give it to him as a gift. I've done some research myself and found the exact paint job and squadron markings for the 397th Fighter Squadron of the 368th Fighter Group in the Ninth Air Force, which uncle Jerry was a part of. This should be a great start to my P3!


Below is a picture of Jerry Kelly next to his P-47:

No comments:

Post a Comment